The Greek and North Macedonian National Competence Centers have twinned within the framework of HPC EuroCC project. The scope of the twinning activities was to exchange important and valuable experiences concerning public awareness, knowledge transfer on high-performance computing from academia to industry and specific use-cases where high-performance computations were required by industrial partners.
Mentoring and twinning activities were realised amongst the EuroCC@Greece and EuroCC@North Macedonia Competence Centers. The following outcomes occurred:
- The mentoring activity provided by GRNET, included information sessions for UKIM’s staff about HPC-ARIS supercomputer as well as the operation and support procedures, allocation of resources, accounting, monitoring and all issues concerning the smooth operation of such a computational system.
- Discussions were made and experiences were exchanged about the implementation of EuroCC and in particular concerning the public awareness and use-cases with industry and academia.
- Best practice was mutually shared on management of HPC resources and the cases of access provided for academia and industry, as well as previous experience on the collaboration with industry and anticipated difficulties when approaching SMEs.
- NCCs exchanged their approaches to reach out to industrial potential users and establish contacts with companies that would benefit from the use of an HPC infrastructure.
- The NCCs discussed the design and implementation of MSc and PhD study programmes on national level and identified opportunities to create interdisciplinary industry study programmes.
- Both NCCs agreed on the possibility of further joint work on project proposals and tackling the identified concerns.
Dates and Staff involved in the Twinning Activities:
The mentoring and twinning activities were realised amongst the EuroCC@Greece and EuroCC@North Macedonia Competence Centers. The participating partners were: National Infrastructures for Research and Technology (GRNET), the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH), the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) from the Greek side and the University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius (UKIM) from the North Macedonian side.
- 22/11/2022 – 24/11/2022, mentoring of NCC Greece (GRNET) to NCC North Macedonia (UKIM): mentor Dimitris Dellis from GRNET provided support to Kiril Kjiroski and Vladislav Bidikov from UKIM, in a range of areas:
- Existing system (ARIS), short description
- Description of operation issues and procedures
- User support procedures, allocation of resources, accounting, monitoring.
- Plans for the new infrastructure Daedalus
- GRNET academic network short description
- 14/11/2022-15/11/2022 (UKIM visit to AUTH) & 23/11/2022 – 24/11/2022 (AUTH visit to UKIM), twinning visits between Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) and the Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University (UKIM): From AUTH the people involved were Paschalis Korosoglou, Vasileios Asteriou, Pavlos Sermpezis, Hara Charalambous, Stamelos Ioannis and Athena Vakali, while from UKIM the people involved included Boro Jakimovski, Petre Lameski, Sonja Filiposka, Riste Stojanov and Vojdan Kjorveziroski. The Faculty Dean from UKIM also participated in the meetings between AUTH and UKIM.
- 22/11/2022 – 24/11/2022 (NTUA visit to UKIM) & 29/11/2022 – 01/12/2022 (UKIM visit to NTUA), twinning visits between National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) and the Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University (UKIM): From NTUA the people involved were Dionisios Pnevmatikatos, Ioannis Aviziotis, Dimitris Theodoropoulos and Kyriakos Giannakoglou, while from UKIM the people involved included Sonja Filiposka, Anastas Mishev, Boro Jakimovski, Riste Stojanov and Vojdan Kjorveziroski.
To see a detailed analysis of the report, click here.